NorthEast United FC New Players, Team Squad, Point Table Matchdays
With two new teams joining Indian Superleague (ISL) this season, the tournament is all set to become bigger than ever.Bengaluru FC and Jamshedpur FC are the two new franchises.
They join the existing eight franchises –Atlético de Kolkata, Chennaiyin FC, Delhi Dynamos, FC Goa, Kerala Blasters FC, Mumbai City, NorthEast United, Pune City The 10 teams will compete over a period of 5 months to become the ultimate champion of India.
Since its inception in 2014 ISL has grown on to become a big success, increasing the football fan base in India. With the likes of Elder Postiga, Elano Blumer, Diego Forlan, Roberto Carlos, Nicolas Anelka and other international players, attracting Indian Fans to the League.
NorthEast United FC was formed in 2014 as a part of Indian SuperLeague.The club is owned by Bollywood actor John Abraham and Shillong Lajong Football Club. Although the club is based in Guwahati Assam, it claims to represent the 8 states of North East India: Assam, Nagaland, Manipur, Meghalaya, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, Tripura, and Mizoram.The club’s fan calls them “The Highlanders”.Let us go through last year matches of this team.
ISL 2014 :
In the inaugural season of ISL, NorthEast United FC (NEU FC) signed Spain’s world cup winning defender Joan Capdevila as their marquee player. NEU FC began the season with a win against Kerala Blasters squad at their home ground. The club could not capitalize on the winning start to the tournament, finishing last in the tournament.
ISL 2015 :
In 2015, NEU FC signed Portuguese midfielder Simao Sabrosa to boost their chances of winning ISL. However, they had a terrible start to the tournament losing first three games. The Club gained momentum in the later stage of the tournament but were not able to qualify for the knockouts. They finished Fifth on the table.
ISL 2016 :
The 2016 season of ISL started well for the Highlanders with consecutive wins at home. But 4 straight defeats in the middle of the tournament made it difficult for the club to qualify in top 4. The club fell just two points short of top 4 finish ending the tournament at 5th position again.
North East United FC Squad For ISL 2017
Head Coach: Joao Carlos Pires de Deus (Portugal)
Goalkeepers: Gurpreet Singh Chabhal, Ravi Kumar, Rehenesh Thumbirumbu Paramba
Defenders: Abdul Hakku Nediyodath, Gursimrat Singh Gill, Jose Goncalves ( Portugal), Mamadu Samba Cande (Guinea Bissau ), Martin Damian Diaz Pena ( Uruguay), Nirmal Chettri, Reagan Singh, Robert Lalthlamuana.
Midfielders: Adilson Goiano (Brazil), Fanai Lalrempuia, Lalrindika Ralte, Malemngamba Meitei Kshetrimayum, Marcio de Souza Gregorio Junior ( Brazil), Rowllin Borges, Sushil Meitei Ahongshangbam
Forwards: Halicharan Narzary, Luis Alfonso Paez ( Colombia), Odair Fortes ( Cape Verde), Seiminlen Doungel, Wellington Alves da Silva ( Brazil)
North East United FC Head Coach
Joao Carlos Pires de Deus is the head coach of NEU FC for ISL 2017. He was signed by the club on 17th July 2017. De Deus is NEU FC’s fourth manager in as many years since the clubs inception. De Dues has had coaching stints in Spain and Portugal. He managed reserve team of Sporting Clube de Portugal form 2014 to 2017 before joining NEU FC. He also managed the national team of Cape Varde from 2008 to 2010. He left the team after their exit from 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification. After joining NEU FC, De Deus said,
“I can assure the fans that we will play positive football and that all the players and the staff will work hard. We will leave no stone unturned so that we can achieve our objectives”
Players Retained by North East United FC
In July 2017, the Highlanders announced that they have retained Indian midfielder Rowllin Borges and 24-year old goalkeeper Rehenesh Thumbirumbu Paramba from the previous season of ISL.
Rowllin Borges played 13 games for NEU FC in ISL 2016. Although he didn’t score any goal for the club, his performance made sure that he was retained by the club. Borges made his professional football debut for I-League team Sporting Clube De Goa. In 53 games for the club, he scored 3 goals. His performance at the club earned him a call to the International team in 2016. He scored his first international goal against Nepal in SAFF Suzuki Cup 2015 at Greenfield Stadium, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He was named 2016 All India Football Federation (AIFF) Emerging Player of the Year.
TP Rehenesh was the other player retained by NEU FC. Rehenesh has been part of the NEU FC since 2014. He made 40 saves in ISL season 1, which was second highest. He had 5 clean sheets in 12 games in season 1. Rehenesh made his professional football debut, playing for ONGC in I-League on 1st December 2012. He then moved to Mumbai Tigers in 2013 before joining Rangdajied United on loan. In 2014 he joined I-League club Shillong Lajong FC. Rehenesh made his India U-23 debut in 2015. Image credits: NorthEast United Fans
Players Bought at Auction
NEU FC’s first pick in the auction was Indian Forward Halicharan Narzary. He was bought for a salary of 45 lakh rupees. Narzary played for FC GOA in the inaugural season of ISL. The player then moved to NEU FC on a loan deal in 2015. Halicharan made his debut for the India U23 on 25 June 2012 coming on as a 39th-minute substitute for Jeje Lalpekhlua against Iraq U23. He then made his debut for the senior Indian team as an injury-time substitute on 12 March 2015 against Nepal.
The club’s next pick was defender Nirmal Chettri. He was bought for 35 lakh rupees. He played for NEU FC in the last season of ISL. Chettri played for Kerala Blasters in first two seasons of ISL. Chettri made his senior international debut for India during the 2011 SAFF Championship against Bhutan. Since then he has played 15 games for India.
NEU FC’s next pick was Indian International Lalrindika Ralte. He is a winger who plays as a midfielder. Ralte was bought for 50 lakh rupees. He played for Mumbai City FC in the first two seasons of ISL before moving to Atletico de Kolkata in the 2016 ISL. He scored 1 goal in 13 games for Atletico de Kolkata. He made his international debut against Maldives in July 2011. Ralte has spent most of his professional football career at the I-League club East Bengal. He joined East Bengal in 2012 and has been playing for them since. In 93 appearance for the club, he has scored 16 goals.
The Highlanders then signed Robert Lalthlamuana for 25 lakhs rupees. The defender plays for East Bengal in I-League. He played a few games for Delhi Dynamos in first two seasons of ISL. Last year he played for Atletico de Kolkata.
Indian forward Seiminlen Doungel was NEU FC’s next purchase at the auction. He was bought for 37.5 lakh rupees. Doungel played for NEU FC in 2014 season of ISL scoring 1 goal in 10 games. He then joined Delhi Dynamos in the next season.
Defender Reagan Singh was bought for 25 lakh rupees. Reagen has been part of Highlander’s ISL campaign since 2015. The 26-year old has played 15 games in two seasons for NEU FC.
Other players bought at the auction :
Ravi Kumar ( goalkeeper) – 17 lakh rupees.
Gursimrat Gill ( defender) – 6 lakh rupees
Malemnganba Meitei ( midfielder) – 16 lakh rupees.
Abdul Hakku ( defender) – 12 lakh rupees.
Lalrempuia Fanai ( midfielder) – 8 lakh rupees.
Gurpreet Singh Chabhal ( goalkeeper) – 7 lakh rupees.
Siddharth Singh ( forward) – 6 lakh rupees
NEU FC International Signings
- Luis Alfonso Paez ( Colombia) : Paez started playing for Colombian club Atletico Bello in 2007. He played 12 games for Colombian junior side scoring 5 goals. The Colombian forward has played all his professional football in Colombia for different clubs. In 195 games in the domestic leagues of Colombia Paez has scored 77 goals. He played for Rionegro Aguilas SA before joining NEU FC for ISL 2017.
- Odair Fortes ( Cape Verde) : Fortes plays forward for Cape Verde national team. In 29 appearances for the national team, he has scored 5 goals. He made his international debut against Liberia in 2011. Fortes joined the second tier French Club Stade de Reims in 2008. Since then he has played 206 games for the club scoring 16 goals and 25 assists.
- Wellington Alves da Silva ( Brazil) : Silva joined Brazilian club Fluminense’s youth setup in 2004.He was part of the club from 2004 to 2010 before joining English Premier League club Arsenal. Silva played in reserves match for Arsenal against Manchester United. During his stay at Arsenal, he was loaned to several Spanish Clubs. He played for La Liga club Levante UD. In 2016, Silva returned to Fluminense scoring 2 goals in 20 games for the club in 2016 season. Silva also played for Brazil U-17 and U-21 sides.
1. Adilson Goiano ( Brazil): Goiano plays defensive midfielder. He started playing for the Brazilian club Vila Nova in 2011. Till 2015 he played for different clubs in Brazil. He then moved to Portuguese club FC Arouca. In the 2 years at the club, he played 58 games scoring 5 goals.
2. Marcio de Souza Gregorio Junior ( Brazil): Marcio joined Brasiliense football club in 2008. He scored 9 goals in 5 games for the club before moving to Noroeste. In the next few seasons, he played for many clubs including the South Korean Club Gyeongnam FC. In 2014 he joined Russian club UFA FC. He played three seasons for UFA FC in Russian Premier League. He scored 8 goals in 61 games for the club.
- Jose Goncalves ( Portugal): The 31-year old Portuguese defender started playing football in 2001. In 2002, at the age of 17, he joined FC Basel. He played for American Football club New England Revolution before joining NEU FC. He scored 4 goals in 118 games for the American Club. He played for the U21 side of Portugal in 2007 UEFA European Championship. He was part of the Portugal’s provisional squad for 2010 FIFA World Cup, but couldn’t make it to the final squad.
- Mamadu Samba Cande ( Guinea Bissau) :Sambhina, as he is commonly known started playing professional football from 2011. In 2013 Sambhina was signed by B side of the Portuguese club Sporting CP. He has played 66 games for the club scoring 4 goals. In the 2016-17 season, he moved to SC Covilha. In July 2017 NEU FC signed him as one of the clubs 8 international players.
- Martin Damian Diaz Pena (Uruguay) : Born in Montevideo, Uruguay Diaz played his first professional game for Uruguayan Club Defensor SC in 2008. Diaz played 3 games for Uruguay U-17. He played for Uruguayan Football Club Liverpool FC before joining NEU FC. He scored 1 goal in 7 games for the club.Learn more about ISL 2017 Starting Date
NorthEast United FC Home Ground
NEU FC plays their home games at Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium, Guwahati. The stadium has a capacity of 23,850. The stadium was opened in 2007 and has hosted 3 international games. India played Malaysia in the first ever international game at this stadium. It hosted the 2018 world cup qualifier between India and Nepal. The Highlanders have played 21 games at the ground with 10 wins, 8 losses and 3 draws.
NorthEast United FC Jersey :
In July 2017 NorthEast United FC revealed their jersey for ISL 2017. The jersey is designed and manufactured by Performax. The jersey is sponsored by Taiwanese consumer electronics company HTC.
NorthEast United FC ISL 2017 TICKETS
The tickets for ISL home games of NorthEast United FC will be available at BookMyShow.
North East United FC Official
Fans can get all the information and news related to the Club at its official website http://www.neufc.com/
Fans can follow the Highlanders on twitter at @NEUtdFC
NorthEast United FC Official Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/neutdfc8/
NorthEast United FC Official Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/northeastunitedfc/